Egg Salad Sandwiches with Watercress
Watercress, a cruciferous vegetable, adds a zesty note—and welcome phytonutrients—to this enlightened version of an American classic.
- 8 large hard-boiled eggs, (see Tip)
- 3 tablespoons nonfat sour cream, or nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 4 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup washed and stemmed watercress
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- Scoop out egg yolks. Place 2 yolks in a small bowl and reserve the rest for another use. Chop egg whites and reserve. Mash the yolks with a fork and stir in sour cream (or yogurt), mayonnaise and mustard. Add chopped egg whites and scallions and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange watercress on 4 bread slices. Top with the egg salad and cover with the remaining bread slices.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 289 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 373 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 4 g fiber; 601 mg sodium; 289 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (30% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), .Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less