Egg Drop Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Garlic and ginger flavor the broth of this egg drop soup.
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 4 coin-sized slices fresh ginger, unpeeled
- 1/2 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns, or white peppercorns
- 2 scallions
- 1 46-ounce can or 3 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth, (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon rice wine, or dry sherry, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- Crush garlic cloves (do not peel) and ginger slices with the flat of a chef’s knife. Crush peppercorns with a heavy saucepan. Trim scallions and separate green and white portions; slice greens and reserve. Tuck the garlic, ginger, peppercorns and some scallion whites into a tea infuser (or cheesecloth bag) and place it in a large saucepan.
- Pour chicken broth and 1/3 cup rice wine (or sherry) into the saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, until reduced to 4 cups, 15 to 20 minutes, skimming off any froth that rises to the surface. Remove the tea infuser and adjust heat to maintain a simmer.
- Whisk egg, egg white and the remaining 1 teaspoon rice wine (or sherry) together in a small bowl. Slowly pour a steady stream of the egg mixture into the simmering broth as you stir the soup with a spoon. Remove from the heat, stir in sesame oil and season with ground pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve, garnished with scallion greens.
Per serving: 96 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 233 mg sodium; 36 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...
These recipes for instant appetizers use 5 ingredients or...
Many holiday celebrations include festive drinks, and we’ve...
These festive holiday appetizers are tried-and-true cocktail...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- January/February 1996