Egg Drop Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Garlic and ginger flavor the broth of this egg drop soup.
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 4 coin-sized slices fresh ginger, unpeeled
- 1/2 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns, or white peppercorns
- 2 scallions
- 1 46-ounce can or 3 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth, (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon rice wine, or dry sherry, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- Crush garlic cloves (do not peel) and ginger slices with the flat of a chef’s knife. Crush peppercorns with a heavy saucepan. Trim scallions and separate green and white portions; slice greens and reserve. Tuck the garlic, ginger, peppercorns and some scallion whites into a tea infuser (or cheesecloth bag) and place it in a large saucepan.
- Pour chicken broth and 1/3 cup rice wine (or sherry) into the saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, until reduced to 4 cups, 15 to 20 minutes, skimming off any froth that rises to the surface. Remove the tea infuser and adjust heat to maintain a simmer.
- Whisk egg, egg white and the remaining 1 teaspoon rice wine (or sherry) together in a small bowl. Slowly pour a steady stream of the egg mixture into the simmering broth as you stir the soup with a spoon. Remove from the heat, stir in sesame oil and season with ground pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve, garnished with scallion greens.
Per serving: 96 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 233 mg sodium; 36 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1996