Egg Drop Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Garlic and ginger flavor the broth of this egg drop soup.
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 4 coin-sized slices fresh ginger, unpeeled
- 1/2 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns, or white peppercorns
- 2 scallions
- 1 46-ounce can or 3 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth, (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon rice wine, or dry sherry, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- Crush garlic cloves (do not peel) and ginger slices with the flat of a chef’s knife. Crush peppercorns with a heavy saucepan. Trim scallions and separate green and white portions; slice greens and reserve. Tuck the garlic, ginger, peppercorns and some scallion whites into a tea infuser (or cheesecloth bag) and place it in a large saucepan.
- Pour chicken broth and 1/3 cup rice wine (or sherry) into the saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, until reduced to 4 cups, 15 to 20 minutes, skimming off any froth that rises to the surface. Remove the tea infuser and adjust heat to maintain a simmer.
- Whisk egg, egg white and the remaining 1 teaspoon rice wine (or sherry) together in a small bowl. Slowly pour a steady stream of the egg mixture into the simmering broth as you stir the soup with a spoon. Remove from the heat, stir in sesame oil and season with ground pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve, garnished with scallion greens.
Per serving: 96 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 233 mg sodium; 36 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 1996