Egg Drop Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Garlic and ginger flavor the broth of this egg drop soup.
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 4 coin-sized slices fresh ginger, unpeeled
- 1/2 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns, or white peppercorns
- 2 scallions
- 1 46-ounce can or 3 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth, (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon rice wine, or dry sherry, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- Crush garlic cloves (do not peel) and ginger slices with the flat of a chef’s knife. Crush peppercorns with a heavy saucepan. Trim scallions and separate green and white portions; slice greens and reserve. Tuck the garlic, ginger, peppercorns and some scallion whites into a tea infuser (or cheesecloth bag) and place it in a large saucepan.
- Pour chicken broth and 1/3 cup rice wine (or sherry) into the saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, until reduced to 4 cups, 15 to 20 minutes, skimming off any froth that rises to the surface. Remove the tea infuser and adjust heat to maintain a simmer.
- Whisk egg, egg white and the remaining 1 teaspoon rice wine (or sherry) together in a small bowl. Slowly pour a steady stream of the egg mixture into the simmering broth as you stir the soup with a spoon. Remove from the heat, stir in sesame oil and season with ground pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve, garnished with scallion greens.
Per serving: 96 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 233 mg sodium; 36 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 1996