Egg Drop Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Garlic and ginger flavor the broth of this egg drop soup.
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 4 coin-sized slices fresh ginger, unpeeled
- 1/2 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns, or white peppercorns
- 2 scallions
- 1 46-ounce can or 3 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth, (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon rice wine, or dry sherry, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- Crush garlic cloves (do not peel) and ginger slices with the flat of a chef’s knife. Crush peppercorns with a heavy saucepan. Trim scallions and separate green and white portions; slice greens and reserve. Tuck the garlic, ginger, peppercorns and some scallion whites into a tea infuser (or cheesecloth bag) and place it in a large saucepan.
- Pour chicken broth and 1/3 cup rice wine (or sherry) into the saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, until reduced to 4 cups, 15 to 20 minutes, skimming off any froth that rises to the surface. Remove the tea infuser and adjust heat to maintain a simmer.
- Whisk egg, egg white and the remaining 1 teaspoon rice wine (or sherry) together in a small bowl. Slowly pour a steady stream of the egg mixture into the simmering broth as you stir the soup with a spoon. Remove from the heat, stir in sesame oil and season with ground pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve, garnished with scallion greens.
Per serving: 96 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 233 mg sodium; 36 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- January/February 1996