Edamame Lo Mein
This is not the greasy Lo Mein of your favorite Chinese take-out, it tastes even better. Plus you get plenty of nutrients with the addition of edamame, a great vegetarian protein source. Make it a Meal: Fruit sorbet and sesame cookies are a perfect ending.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 2 cups frozen edamame, (shelled soybeans)
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce, or vegetarian “oyster” sauce
- 1/4 cup rice-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 2 small red bell peppers, cut into matchsticks
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add spaghetti and edamame and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, whisk scallions, oyster sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and crushed red pepper in a small bowl until the sugar is dissolved.
- Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add carrots and bell peppers and cook, stirring often, until slightly softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the pasta and edamame. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is crispy in spots, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the sauce and stir to combine.
Per serving: 417 calories; 13 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 13 g fiber; 569 mg sodium; 310 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (130% dv), Iron (20% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique