Edamame Lo Mein
This is not the greasy Lo Mein of your favorite Chinese take-out, it tastes even better. Plus you get plenty of nutrients with the addition of edamame, a great vegetarian protein source. Make it a Meal: Fruit sorbet and sesame cookies are a perfect ending.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 2 cups frozen edamame, (shelled soybeans)
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce, or vegetarian “oyster” sauce
- 1/4 cup rice-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 2 small red bell peppers, cut into matchsticks
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add spaghetti and edamame and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, whisk scallions, oyster sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and crushed red pepper in a small bowl until the sugar is dissolved.
- Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add carrots and bell peppers and cook, stirring often, until slightly softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the pasta and edamame. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is crispy in spots, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the sauce and stir to combine.
Per serving: 417 calories; 13 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 13 g fiber; 569 mg sodium; 310 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (130% dv), Iron (20% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique