Edamame Lo Mein
This is not the greasy Lo Mein of your favorite Chinese take-out, it tastes even better. Plus you get plenty of nutrients with the addition of edamame, a great vegetarian protein source. Make it a Meal: Fruit sorbet and sesame cookies are a perfect ending.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 2 cups frozen edamame, (shelled soybeans)
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce, or vegetarian “oyster” sauce
- 1/4 cup rice-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 2 small red bell peppers, cut into matchsticks
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add spaghetti and edamame and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, whisk scallions, oyster sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and crushed red pepper in a small bowl until the sugar is dissolved.
- Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add carrots and bell peppers and cook, stirring often, until slightly softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the pasta and edamame. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is crispy in spots, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the sauce and stir to combine.
Per serving: 417 calories; 13 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 13 g fiber; 569 mg sodium; 310 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (130% dv), Iron (20% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique