EatingWell's Wonton Chips
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Wonton skins can usually be found in the supermarket produce section. Instead of deep-frying, these are baked until crispy.
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, or 2 teaspoons dried marjoram and 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1-pound package wonton skins
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. If using sesame seeds, heat a small, heavy, dry skillet over medium-high heat. Add seeds and cook, stirring constantly or shaking the pan, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool.
- Spread a clean dish towel on the counter. Fill a medium bowl with cold water. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 4 wonton skins, one at a time. After about 20 seconds, or when the skins look like cooked noodles, remove them with a slotted spoon and immerse in the bowl of cold water. Immediately arrange in a single layer on the towel to drain.
- When you have enough wonton skins to fill a baking sheet, arrange them in a single layer on a prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or herbs. Season with salt. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden and crisp. (Watch carefully toward the end to avoid burning.) Remove to a rack to cool. Repeat procedure with remaining wonton skins.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Wonton skins can usually be found in the supermarket produce section.
Per chip: 38 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 79 mg sodium; 14 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve
- November/December 1993