EatingWell's Pepperoni Pizza
Pepperoni pizza gets a healthful makeover with whole-wheat pizza dough and a flavorful tomato sauce that, thanks to the addition of pumpkin puree, provides extra beta carotene and fiber. We've topped the pie with low-fat turkey pepperoni, but if you like, use your favorite sliced vegetables instead.
- 1 pound prepared whole-wheat pizza dough, (see Shopping Tip), thawed if frozen
- 1 cup canned unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni (1/2 cup)
- Place oven rack in the lowest position; preheat to 450°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to the size of the baking sheet. Transfer to the baking sheet. Bake until puffed and lightly crisped on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Whisk pumpkin puree, tomato sauce and garlic powder in a small bowl until combined.
- Spread sauce evenly over the baked crust. Top with mozzarella, Parmesan and pepperoni. Bake until the crust is crispy on the edges and the cheeses have melted, about 12 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Use leftover tomato sauce and pumpkin to make a second batch of pizza sauce. Refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for 3 months.
- Shopping tip: Look for balls of whole-wheat pizza dough at your supermarket, fresh or frozen and without any hydrogenated oils.
Per serving: 280 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 30 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 3 g fiber; 602 mg sodium; 153 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Calcium (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique