EatingWell's Pepperoni Pizza
Pepperoni pizza gets a healthful makeover with whole-wheat pizza dough and a flavorful tomato sauce that, thanks to the addition of pumpkin puree, provides extra beta carotene and fiber. We've topped the pie with low-fat turkey pepperoni, but if you like, use your favorite sliced vegetables instead.
- 1 pound prepared whole-wheat pizza dough, (see Shopping Tip), thawed if frozen
- 1 cup canned unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni (1/2 cup)
- Place oven rack in the lowest position; preheat to 450°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to the size of the baking sheet. Transfer to the baking sheet. Bake until puffed and lightly crisped on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Whisk pumpkin puree, tomato sauce and garlic powder in a small bowl until combined.
- Spread sauce evenly over the baked crust. Top with mozzarella, Parmesan and pepperoni. Bake until the crust is crispy on the edges and the cheeses have melted, about 12 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Use leftover tomato sauce and pumpkin to make a second batch of pizza sauce. Refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for 3 months.
- Shopping tip: Look for balls of whole-wheat pizza dough at your supermarket, fresh or frozen and without any hydrogenated oils.
Per serving: 280 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 30 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 3 g fiber; 602 mg sodium; 153 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Calcium (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique