These healthy waffles are made from a blend of whole-wheat and regular flour plus nonfat buttermilk and canola oil. Top with fresh berries or sliced peaches and yogurt for a satisfying start to any day.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups nonfat buttermilk, (see Tip)
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, (optional)
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Stir whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Whisk buttermilk, the egg yolk, oil and vanilla (if using) in a separate bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon just until moistened.
- Beat the 3 egg whites in a grease-free mixing bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add sugar and continue beating until stiff and glossy. Whisk one-quarter of the beaten egg whites into the batter. Fold in the remaining beaten egg whites with a rubber spatula.
- Preheat a waffle iron. Brush the surface lightly with oil. Fill the waffle iron two-thirds full of batter. Cook until the waffles are crisp and golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter, brushing the surface with oil before cooking each batch.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: No buttermilk? You can use buttermilk powder prepared according to package directions. Or make “sour milk”: the ratio is 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk.
Per serving: 241 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 3 g fiber; 450 mg sodium; 285 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (17% daily value), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less