The EatingWell Taco
Building the perfect taco is a very personal task—cheese under meat, cheese on top, no cheese at all? This is just our recommendation.
Homemade Taco Shells
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 ounces 93%-lean ground beef
- 8 ounces 99%-lean ground turkey breast
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles, preferably Rotel brand (see Tip), or 1 1/4 cups petite-diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile or 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup prepared salsa
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- To prepare taco shells: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Working with 6 tortillas at a time, wrap in a barely damp cloth or paper towel and microwave on High until steamed, about 30 seconds. Lay the tortillas on a clean work surface and coat both sides with cooking spray; sprinkle a little chili powder and salt on one side. Carefully drape each tortilla over two bars of the oven rack. Bake until crispy, 7 to 10 minutes. Repeat with the remaining 6 tortillas.
- To prepare taco meat: Place beef, turkey and onion in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a colander to drain off fat. Wipe out the pan. Return the meat to the pan and add tomatoes, cumin, ground chipotle (or chili powder) and oregano. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 3 to 6 minutes.
- To assemble tacos: Fill each shell with a generous 3 tablespoons taco meat, 1/4 cup lettuce, 1 tablespoon each cheese, tomato and salsa and 1 teaspoon onion.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store taco shells in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Reheat at 375°F for 1 to 2 minutes before serving. Cover and refrigerate taco meat for up to 1 day. Reheat just before serving.
- Tip: Look for Rotel brand diced tomatoes with green chiles—original or mild, depending on your spice preference—and set the heat level with either ground chipotle chile (adds smoky heat) or chili powder (adds rich chili taste without extra spice).
Per serving: 252 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 5 g fiber; 576 mg sodium; 254 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (49% daily value), Vitamin C & Zinc (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient