EatingWell Power Salad
Here's our take on a traditional chef's salad, which is anything but light fare when it's heaped with meats and cheeses. Our version keeps the satisfaction factor with lean turkey breast and reduced-fat Swiss cheese - and adds plenty of colorful vegetables to the mix.
Creamy Dill Ranch Dressing
- 1 small shallot, peeled
- 3/4 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk powder
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons red onion, chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 4 slices roast turkey breast, cut up (3 ounces)
- 2 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese, cut up (2 ounces)
- To prepare dressing: With the food processor running, add shallot through the feed tube and process until finely chopped. Add cottage cheese, mayonnaise, buttermilk powder and vinegar. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary, about 3 minutes. Pour in milk while the processor is running. Scrape down the sides, add dill, salt and pepper and process until combined. (Makes 1 1/4 cups.)
- To prepare salad: Toss greens, carrots, onion and 1/4 cup dressing in a large bowl until coated. Divide between 2 plates. Arrange tomatoes, turkey and cheese on top of the salad.
Per serving: 180 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 6 g fiber; 757 mg sodium; 956 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (290% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Folate (55% dv), Calcium (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)