EatingWell Power Salad
Here's our take on a traditional chef's salad, which is anything but light fare when it's heaped with meats and cheeses. Our version keeps the satisfaction factor with lean turkey breast and reduced-fat Swiss cheese - and adds plenty of colorful vegetables to the mix.
Creamy Dill Ranch Dressing
- 1 small shallot, peeled
- 3/4 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk powder
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons red onion, chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 4 slices roast turkey breast, cut up (3 ounces)
- 2 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese, cut up (2 ounces)
- To prepare dressing: With the food processor running, add shallot through the feed tube and process until finely chopped. Add cottage cheese, mayonnaise, buttermilk powder and vinegar. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary, about 3 minutes. Pour in milk while the processor is running. Scrape down the sides, add dill, salt and pepper and process until combined. (Makes 1 1/4 cups.)
- To prepare salad: Toss greens, carrots, onion and 1/4 cup dressing in a large bowl until coated. Divide between 2 plates. Arrange tomatoes, turkey and cheese on top of the salad.
Per serving: 180 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 6 g fiber; 757 mg sodium; 956 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (290% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Folate (55% dv), Calcium (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique