EatingWell Power Salad
Here's our take on a traditional chef's salad, which is anything but light fare when it's heaped with meats and cheeses. Our version keeps the satisfaction factor with lean turkey breast and reduced-fat Swiss cheese - and adds plenty of colorful vegetables to the mix.
Creamy Dill Ranch Dressing
- 1 small shallot, peeled
- 3/4 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk powder
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons red onion, chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 4 slices roast turkey breast, cut up (3 ounces)
- 2 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese, cut up (2 ounces)
- To prepare dressing: With the food processor running, add shallot through the feed tube and process until finely chopped. Add cottage cheese, mayonnaise, buttermilk powder and vinegar. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary, about 3 minutes. Pour in milk while the processor is running. Scrape down the sides, add dill, salt and pepper and process until combined. (Makes 1 1/4 cups.)
- To prepare salad: Toss greens, carrots, onion and 1/4 cup dressing in a large bowl until coated. Divide between 2 plates. Arrange tomatoes, turkey and cheese on top of the salad.
Per serving: 180 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 6 g fiber; 757 mg sodium; 956 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (290% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Folate (55% dv), Calcium (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation