EatingWell Power Salad
Here's our take on a traditional chef's salad, which is anything but light fare when it's heaped with meats and cheeses. Our version keeps the satisfaction factor with lean turkey breast and reduced-fat Swiss cheese - and adds plenty of colorful vegetables to the mix.
Creamy Dill Ranch Dressing
- 1 small shallot, peeled
- 3/4 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk powder
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons red onion, chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 4 slices roast turkey breast, cut up (3 ounces)
- 2 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese, cut up (2 ounces)
- To prepare dressing: With the food processor running, add shallot through the feed tube and process until finely chopped. Add cottage cheese, mayonnaise, buttermilk powder and vinegar. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary, about 3 minutes. Pour in milk while the processor is running. Scrape down the sides, add dill, salt and pepper and process until combined. (Makes 1 1/4 cups.)
- To prepare salad: Toss greens, carrots, onion and 1/4 cup dressing in a large bowl until coated. Divide between 2 plates. Arrange tomatoes, turkey and cheese on top of the salad.
Per serving: 180 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 6 g fiber; 757 mg sodium; 956 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (290% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Folate (55% dv), Calcium (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique