Though there are myriad great low-fat mayos on the market, there's nothing quite like making it from scratch.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard, preferably Colman's
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Whisk together cornstarch, mustard, sugar, salt and cayenne in a medium saucepan. Add 1/4 cup of the buttermilk and whisk until you have a smooth paste. Add egg and the remaining 1/2 cup buttermilk and whisk until smooth.
- Set the pan over medium-low heat and cook, whisking, until the mixture comes to a simmer and thickens. Continue to whisk for 15 seconds, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Whisk in lemon juice and oil. Transfer the mayonnaise to a small bowl and press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days. Whisk before using.
Per tablespoon: 21 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 89 mg sodium; 24 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory