Though there are myriad great low-fat mayos on the market, there's nothing quite like making it from scratch.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard, preferably Colman's
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Whisk together cornstarch, mustard, sugar, salt and cayenne in a medium saucepan. Add 1/4 cup of the buttermilk and whisk until you have a smooth paste. Add egg and the remaining 1/2 cup buttermilk and whisk until smooth.
- Set the pan over medium-low heat and cook, whisking, until the mixture comes to a simmer and thickens. Continue to whisk for 15 seconds, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Whisk in lemon juice and oil. Transfer the mayonnaise to a small bowl and press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days. Whisk before using.
Per tablespoon: 21 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 89 mg sodium; 24 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation