Though there are myriad great low-fat mayos on the market, there's nothing quite like making it from scratch.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard, preferably Colman's
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Whisk together cornstarch, mustard, sugar, salt and cayenne in a medium saucepan. Add 1/4 cup of the buttermilk and whisk until you have a smooth paste. Add egg and the remaining 1/2 cup buttermilk and whisk until smooth.
- Set the pan over medium-low heat and cook, whisking, until the mixture comes to a simmer and thickens. Continue to whisk for 15 seconds, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Whisk in lemon juice and oil. Transfer the mayonnaise to a small bowl and press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days. Whisk before using.
Per tablespoon: 21 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 89 mg sodium; 24 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory