EatingWell King Ranch Casserole
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
This healthy Tex-Mex King Ranch casserole recipe is typically made with cans of cream-of-something soup. We’ve lightened up this casserole recipe considerably by making a homemade cream sauce and loading it up with veggies at the same time. You’ll never guess that a serving of our version of King Ranch casserole has 300 fewer calories and two-thirds less fat than the original. This recipe makes enough for two 8-by-8-inch casseroles (four servings each)—have one for dinner tonight and freeze the other for a night when you don’t have time to make dinner.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium red or green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 7-ounce can or two 4-ounce cans diced green chiles, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas, cut in half, divided
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe black olives, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat two 8-inch-square baking dishes with cooking spray.
- Place chicken in a large saucepan and add water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until just cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Dice when cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until all the mushroom liquid has evaporated, 7 to 9 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook, stirring, until just tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and chili powder; stir for 1 minute. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add broth and cook, stirring, until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in tomatoes, sour cream, chiles, salt and the chicken.
- To assemble: Spread 1 cup filling in each prepared baking dish. Layer on 4 tortilla halves and top with 1 cup filling. Repeat 2 more layers of tortillas and filling, ending with the rest of the filling. Sprinkle cheese and olives on top.
- To serve: Bake until hot and bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. To freeze: Let unbaked casserole(s) cool to room temperature. Tightly wrap with heavy-duty foil (or freezer paper) and freeze. (To prevent foil from sticking to the cheese, coat with cooking spray first.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4, cover and freeze (unbaked) for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 2 days. Uncover and bake at 375°F for about 50 minutes.
Per serving: 356 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 81 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 33 g protein; 5 g fiber; 698 mg sodium; 662 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (52% daily value), Vitamin A (27% dv), Calcium, Magnesium & Potassium (19% dv), Zinc (16% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2013