EatingWell King Ranch Casserole
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
This healthy Tex-Mex King Ranch casserole recipe is typically made with cans of cream-of-something soup. We’ve lightened up this casserole recipe considerably by making a homemade cream sauce and loading it up with veggies at the same time. You’ll never guess that a serving of our version of King Ranch casserole has 300 fewer calories and two-thirds less fat than the original. This recipe makes enough for two 8-by-8-inch casseroles (four servings each)—have one for dinner tonight and freeze the other for a night when you don’t have time to make dinner.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium red or green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 7-ounce can or two 4-ounce cans diced green chiles, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas, cut in half, divided
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe black olives, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat two 8-inch-square baking dishes with cooking spray.
- Place chicken in a large saucepan and add water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until just cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Dice when cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until all the mushroom liquid has evaporated, 7 to 9 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook, stirring, until just tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and chili powder; stir for 1 minute. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add broth and cook, stirring, until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in tomatoes, sour cream, chiles, salt and the chicken.
- To assemble: Spread 1 cup filling in each prepared baking dish. Layer on 4 tortilla halves and top with 1 cup filling. Repeat 2 more layers of tortillas and filling, ending with the rest of the filling. Sprinkle cheese and olives on top.
- To serve: Bake until hot and bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. To freeze: Let unbaked casserole(s) cool to room temperature. Tightly wrap with heavy-duty foil (or freezer paper) and freeze. (To prevent foil from sticking to the cheese, coat with cooking spray first.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4, cover and freeze (unbaked) for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 2 days. Uncover and bake at 375°F for about 50 minutes.
Per serving: 356 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 81 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 33 g protein; 5 g fiber; 698 mg sodium; 662 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (52% daily value), Vitamin A (27% dv), Calcium, Magnesium & Potassium (19% dv), Zinc (16% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- September/October 2013