EatingWell Fish Sticks
From EatingWell: July/August 2007
You can make these homemade fish sticks in about the same amount of time it takes to bake a box of the frozen kind. Make it a meal: Serve with lemon wedges, coleslaw, roasted new potatoes and a dollop of tartar sauce.
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1 cup whole-wheat dry breadcrumbs, (see Shopping Tip) or 1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup whole-grain cereal flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- 1 pound tilapia fillets, cut into 1/2-by-3-inch strips
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Set a wire rack on a baking sheet; coat with cooking spray.
- Place breadcrumbs, cereal flakes, lemon pepper, garlic powder, paprika and salt in a food processor or blender and process until finely ground. Transfer to a shallow dish.
- Place flour in a second shallow dish and egg whites in a third shallow dish. Dredge each strip of fish in the flour, dip it in the egg and then coat all sides with the breadcrumb mixture. Place on the prepared rack. Coat both sides of the breaded fish with cooking spray.
- Bake until the fish is cooked through and the breading is golden brown and crisp, about 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Shpping Tip: We like the Ian's brand of whole-wheat dry breadcrumbs, labeled “Panko breadcrumbs,” for their coarse and crunchy texture. Find them in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets or substitute plain dry breadcrumbs (they're finer so you need less).
Per serving: 274 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 3 g fiber; 479 mg sodium; 464 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (86% daily value), Folate (24% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- July/August 2007