EatingWell Fish Sticks
From EatingWell: July/August 2007
You can make these homemade fish sticks in about the same amount of time it takes to bake a box of the frozen kind. Make it a meal: Serve with lemon wedges, coleslaw, roasted new potatoes and a dollop of tartar sauce.
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1 cup whole-wheat dry breadcrumbs, (see Shopping Tip) or 1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup whole-grain cereal flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- 1 pound tilapia fillets, cut into 1/2-by-3-inch strips
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Set a wire rack on a baking sheet; coat with cooking spray.
- Place breadcrumbs, cereal flakes, lemon pepper, garlic powder, paprika and salt in a food processor or blender and process until finely ground. Transfer to a shallow dish.
- Place flour in a second shallow dish and egg whites in a third shallow dish. Dredge each strip of fish in the flour, dip it in the egg and then coat all sides with the breadcrumb mixture. Place on the prepared rack. Coat both sides of the breaded fish with cooking spray.
- Bake until the fish is cooked through and the breading is golden brown and crisp, about 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Shpping Tip: We like the Ian's brand of whole-wheat dry breadcrumbs, labeled “Panko breadcrumbs,” for their coarse and crunchy texture. Find them in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets or substitute plain dry breadcrumbs (they're finer so you need less).
Per serving: 274 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 3 g fiber; 479 mg sodium; 464 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (86% daily value), Folate (24% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- July/August 2007
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)