EatingWell Energy Drink
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Here’s a refreshing lemony energy drink recipe to give you a caffeine energy boost when you don’t want coffee. It’s a double-strength brew of green tea plus yerba maté and delivers about 135 mg caffeine plus antioxidants. Compared with store-bought energy drinks, this homemade energy drink recipe saves about 150 calories and has less than half the sugar. Add an extra-fresh taste by garnishing the rim with chopped mint. Yerba maté is a tea made from the leaves of a South American tree. Look for it with other tea in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets or natural-foods stores.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 green tea bags
- 1 yerba maté tea bag
- 1 1/2 tablespoons agave, honey or sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Ice cubes
- Chopped fresh mint (optional)
- Put boiling water in a heatproof measuring cup. Add green tea and yerba maté and steep for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bags, squeezing the excess liquid into the cup before discarding. Stir in sweetener and lemon juice. Add 6 ice cubes and stir until they are melted and the drink is cold. If desired, wet the rim of your serving glass and coat with chopped mint. Add more ice to the glass and pour in the energy drink.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 97 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 24 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 11 mg sodium; 95 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, nonalcoholic
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2013