EatingWell Energy Drink
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Here’s a refreshing lemony energy drink recipe to give you a caffeine energy boost when you don’t want coffee. It’s a double-strength brew of green tea plus yerba maté and delivers about 135 mg caffeine plus antioxidants. Compared with store-bought energy drinks, this homemade energy drink recipe saves about 150 calories and has less than half the sugar. Add an extra-fresh taste by garnishing the rim with chopped mint. Yerba maté is a tea made from the leaves of a South American tree. Look for it with other tea in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets or natural-foods stores.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 green tea bags
- 1 yerba maté tea bag
- 1 1/2 tablespoons agave, honey or sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Ice cubes
- Chopped fresh mint (optional)
- Put boiling water in a heatproof measuring cup. Add green tea and yerba maté and steep for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bags, squeezing the excess liquid into the cup before discarding. Stir in sweetener and lemon juice. Add 6 ice cubes and stir until they are melted and the drink is cold. If desired, wet the rim of your serving glass and coat with chopped mint. Add more ice to the glass and pour in the energy drink.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 97 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 24 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 11 mg sodium; 95 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, nonalcoholic
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- July/August 2013