EatingWell Energy Drink
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Here’s a refreshing lemony energy drink recipe to give you a caffeine energy boost when you don’t want coffee. It’s a double-strength brew of green tea plus yerba maté and delivers about 135 mg caffeine plus antioxidants. Compared with store-bought energy drinks, this homemade energy drink recipe saves about 150 calories and has less than half the sugar. Add an extra-fresh taste by garnishing the rim with chopped mint. Yerba maté is a tea made from the leaves of a South American tree. Look for it with other tea in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets or natural-foods stores.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 green tea bags
- 1 yerba maté tea bag
- 1 1/2 tablespoons agave, honey or sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Ice cubes
- Chopped fresh mint (optional)
- Put boiling water in a heatproof measuring cup. Add green tea and yerba maté and steep for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bags, squeezing the excess liquid into the cup before discarding. Stir in sweetener and lemon juice. Add 6 ice cubes and stir until they are melted and the drink is cold. If desired, wet the rim of your serving glass and coat with chopped mint. Add more ice to the glass and pour in the energy drink.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 97 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 24 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 11 mg sodium; 95 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, nonalcoholic
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- July/August 2013