EatingWell Energy Drink
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Here’s a refreshing lemony energy drink recipe to give you a caffeine energy boost when you don’t want coffee. It’s a double-strength brew of green tea plus yerba maté and delivers about 135 mg caffeine plus antioxidants. Compared with store-bought energy drinks, this homemade energy drink recipe saves about 150 calories and has less than half the sugar. Add an extra-fresh taste by garnishing the rim with chopped mint. Yerba maté is a tea made from the leaves of a South American tree. Look for it with other tea in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets or natural-foods stores.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 green tea bags
- 1 yerba maté tea bag
- 1 1/2 tablespoons agave, honey or sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Ice cubes
- Chopped fresh mint (optional)
- Put boiling water in a heatproof measuring cup. Add green tea and yerba maté and steep for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bags, squeezing the excess liquid into the cup before discarding. Stir in sweetener and lemon juice. Add 6 ice cubes and stir until they are melted and the drink is cold. If desired, wet the rim of your serving glass and coat with chopped mint. Add more ice to the glass and pour in the energy drink.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 97 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 24 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 11 mg sodium; 95 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, nonalcoholic
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- July/August 2013