EatingWell Energy Drink
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Here’s a refreshing lemony energy drink recipe to give you a caffeine energy boost when you don’t want coffee. It’s a double-strength brew of green tea plus yerba maté and delivers about 135 mg caffeine plus antioxidants. Compared with store-bought energy drinks, this homemade energy drink recipe saves about 150 calories and has less than half the sugar. Add an extra-fresh taste by garnishing the rim with chopped mint. Yerba maté is a tea made from the leaves of a South American tree. Look for it with other tea in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets or natural-foods stores.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 green tea bags
- 1 yerba maté tea bag
- 1 1/2 tablespoons agave, honey or sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Ice cubes
- Chopped fresh mint (optional)
- Put boiling water in a heatproof measuring cup. Add green tea and yerba maté and steep for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bags, squeezing the excess liquid into the cup before discarding. Stir in sweetener and lemon juice. Add 6 ice cubes and stir until they are melted and the drink is cold. If desired, wet the rim of your serving glass and coat with chopped mint. Add more ice to the glass and pour in the energy drink.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 97 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 24 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 11 mg sodium; 95 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, nonalcoholic
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2013