EatingWell All-Purpose Pie Crust
This easy all-purpose pie crust gets a nutritional lift from whole-wheat pastry flour and uses butter along with reduced-fat sour cream and canola oil.
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and, with your fingers, quickly rub them into the dry ingredients until the pieces are smaller but still visible. Add sour cream and oil; toss with a fork to combine with the dry ingredients. Sprinkle water over the mixture. Toss with a fork until evenly moist. Knead the dough with your hands in the bowl a few times"the mixture will still be a little crumbly. Turn out onto a clean surface and knead a few more times, until the dough just holds together. Divide the dough in half and shape into 5-inch-wide disks. Wrap each in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
- Ingredient note: Whole-wheat pastry flour, lower in protein than regular whole-wheat flour, has less gluten-forming potential, making it a better choice for tender baked goods. You can find it in the natural-foods section of large super markets and natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
Per serving: 207 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 119 mg sodium; 25 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more