EatingWell All-Purpose Pie Crust
This easy all-purpose pie crust gets a nutritional lift from whole-wheat pastry flour and uses butter along with reduced-fat sour cream and canola oil.
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and, with your fingers, quickly rub them into the dry ingredients until the pieces are smaller but still visible. Add sour cream and oil; toss with a fork to combine with the dry ingredients. Sprinkle water over the mixture. Toss with a fork until evenly moist. Knead the dough with your hands in the bowl a few times"the mixture will still be a little crumbly. Turn out onto a clean surface and knead a few more times, until the dough just holds together. Divide the dough in half and shape into 5-inch-wide disks. Wrap each in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
- Ingredient note: Whole-wheat pastry flour, lower in protein than regular whole-wheat flour, has less gluten-forming potential, making it a better choice for tender baked goods. You can find it in the natural-foods section of large super markets and natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
Per serving: 207 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 119 mg sodium; 25 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more