EatingWell All-Purpose Pie Crust
This easy all-purpose pie crust gets a nutritional lift from whole-wheat pastry flour and uses butter along with reduced-fat sour cream and canola oil.
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and, with your fingers, quickly rub them into the dry ingredients until the pieces are smaller but still visible. Add sour cream and oil; toss with a fork to combine with the dry ingredients. Sprinkle water over the mixture. Toss with a fork until evenly moist. Knead the dough with your hands in the bowl a few times"the mixture will still be a little crumbly. Turn out onto a clean surface and knead a few more times, until the dough just holds together. Divide the dough in half and shape into 5-inch-wide disks. Wrap each in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
- Ingredient note: Whole-wheat pastry flour, lower in protein than regular whole-wheat flour, has less gluten-forming potential, making it a better choice for tender baked goods. You can find it in the natural-foods section of large super markets and natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
Per serving: 207 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 119 mg sodium; 25 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more