EatingWell All-Purpose Pie Crust
This easy all-purpose pie crust gets a nutritional lift from whole-wheat pastry flour and uses butter along with reduced-fat sour cream and canola oil.
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and, with your fingers, quickly rub them into the dry ingredients until the pieces are smaller but still visible. Add sour cream and oil; toss with a fork to combine with the dry ingredients. Sprinkle water over the mixture. Toss with a fork until evenly moist. Knead the dough with your hands in the bowl a few times"the mixture will still be a little crumbly. Turn out onto a clean surface and knead a few more times, until the dough just holds together. Divide the dough in half and shape into 5-inch-wide disks. Wrap each in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
- Ingredient note: Whole-wheat pastry flour, lower in protein than regular whole-wheat flour, has less gluten-forming potential, making it a better choice for tender baked goods. You can find it in the natural-foods section of large super markets and natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
Per serving: 207 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 119 mg sodium; 25 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- Ease of Preparation