My husband and I really enjoyed the salmon cakes. We live in Southern California so we had leftover grilled salmon (we grill all year). I cut back to one cup of bread crumbs since I noticed that was a common thread in reviews. I also added a jalapeno pepper that was diced into very small pieces. When I mixed all the ingredients, the mixture would not hold together so I added an extra egg and it was the perfect texture.
Easy Salmon Cakes
If you are trying to boost your intake of omega-3s, try this simple favorite. It is a great way to use convenient canned (or leftover) salmon. The tangy dill sauce provides a tart balance.
114 Reviews for Easy Salmon Cakes
This is a great light dinner. I have to make a substitution because I've never been able to find a 7 ounce can of salmon in our area. I use 2 - 5 ounce cans and less bread crumbs. I also use the whole egg instead of just the egg white.
Recipes looks good so it's on my "to try" list.
Handy tip for fresh breadcrumbs - freeze left over rolls and when breadcrumbs are needed, just grate from frozen. Works like a dream.
Simple basic recipe for the first time. Add more seasonings to taste. I added lemon pepper & more mustard. Also, didn't have parsley, so added celery leaves & another celery stalk. My daughter loved them...my family of three both had two, since I used the smaller cans...2 (5.5 oz) which made 6 patties instead of 8. We all agreed that we should have these more often!
Due to my own lack of planning I was forced to make a some changes and it still turned out great. I ended up using Arctic Char instead of salmon. I poached it in salt water with lemon. No fresh breadcrumbs so I added about a 1/4 cup water to the ones I had and it was too hot to turn on the oven so I cooked them in a non-stick pan with a little canola oil. The cakes held together well and were great with the dill sauce-its a necessity.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- What Does a 1,500-Calorie Diet Look Like? (85 comments)
- EatingWell 28 Day Meal Plan Help (50 comments)
- EatingWell 7-Day Meal Plan Help (32 comments)
- Week #1: Are You Ready for a Change? (30 comments)
- Bottled Water vs. Tap (29 comments)
- EatingWell Magazine Digital Subscriptions or Single Issue Copies (28 comments)
- 3 Antidotes to Overeating (24 comments)
- The Wild Salmon Debate (21 comments)
- 7 Steps to Permanent Weight Loss (20 comments)
- Boost Fiber to Slim Down (18 comments)