New Mexican Red Chile Sauce
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
This earthy chile sauce is super simple to make and is delicious on enchiladas or burritos. Or use it as the braising liquid for chunks of pork shoulder.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup minced white onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup mild-to-medium-hot red New Mexican chile powder
- 2 cups vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup onion; cook, stirring, until it begins to soften, about 1 minute. Stir in garlic and continue cooking until the onion is translucent and soft, about 2 minutes more. Stir in chile powder. Add broth, water, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until thickened and reduced by about one-third, about 20 minutes. (The sauce should be thick enough to coat a spoon lightly.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 63 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 454 mg sodium; 222 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (68% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- September/October 2010