New Mexican Red Chile Sauce
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
This earthy chile sauce is super simple to make and is delicious on enchiladas or burritos. Or use it as the braising liquid for chunks of pork shoulder.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup minced white onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup mild-to-medium-hot red New Mexican chile powder
- 2 cups vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup onion; cook, stirring, until it begins to soften, about 1 minute. Stir in garlic and continue cooking until the onion is translucent and soft, about 2 minutes more. Stir in chile powder. Add broth, water, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until thickened and reduced by about one-third, about 20 minutes. (The sauce should be thick enough to coat a spoon lightly.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 63 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 454 mg sodium; 222 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (68% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- September/October 2010