Easy Pollo Cubano
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
The fresh flavors of tarragon, cilantro and lime juice enhance poached chicken breasts in this simple preparation.
- 4 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup lime juice, divided
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- Place chicken in a shallow nonaluminum dish and add 1/4 cup lime juice. Toss lightly, cover and marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Drain and reserve the marinade.
- Combine shallots, 1 1/2 teaspoons tarragon, 1 1/2 teaspoons cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper in a small bowl. Spread 2 teaspoons of the mixture at the base of each chicken breast and roll up. Using two pieces of butcher’s string, one running horizontally and one vertically, tie each breast into a package.
- Combine water, the remaining 1/4 cup lime juice, 2 tablespoons tarragon, 2 tablespoons cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon salt, reserved marinade, sherry, crushed red pepper and bay leaves in a large high-sided skillet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, add the chicken, cover and poach gently until no longer pink inside, 20 to 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Kitchen string
- Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don't use the “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 164 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 350 mg sodium; 332 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (30% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- EatingWell Serves Two