Easy Pollo Cubano
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
The fresh flavors of tarragon, cilantro and lime juice enhance poached chicken breasts in this simple preparation.
- 4 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup lime juice, divided
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- Place chicken in a shallow nonaluminum dish and add 1/4 cup lime juice. Toss lightly, cover and marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Drain and reserve the marinade.
- Combine shallots, 1 1/2 teaspoons tarragon, 1 1/2 teaspoons cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper in a small bowl. Spread 2 teaspoons of the mixture at the base of each chicken breast and roll up. Using two pieces of butcher’s string, one running horizontally and one vertically, tie each breast into a package.
- Combine water, the remaining 1/4 cup lime juice, 2 tablespoons tarragon, 2 tablespoons cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon salt, reserved marinade, sherry, crushed red pepper and bay leaves in a large high-sided skillet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, add the chicken, cover and poach gently until no longer pink inside, 20 to 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Kitchen string
- Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don't use the “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 164 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 350 mg sodium; 332 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (30% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- EatingWell Serves Two