Easy Pollo Cubano
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
The fresh flavors of tarragon, cilantro and lime juice enhance poached chicken breasts in this simple preparation.
- 4 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup lime juice, divided
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- Place chicken in a shallow nonaluminum dish and add 1/4 cup lime juice. Toss lightly, cover and marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Drain and reserve the marinade.
- Combine shallots, 1 1/2 teaspoons tarragon, 1 1/2 teaspoons cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper in a small bowl. Spread 2 teaspoons of the mixture at the base of each chicken breast and roll up. Using two pieces of butcher’s string, one running horizontally and one vertically, tie each breast into a package.
- Combine water, the remaining 1/4 cup lime juice, 2 tablespoons tarragon, 2 tablespoons cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon salt, reserved marinade, sherry, crushed red pepper and bay leaves in a large high-sided skillet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, add the chicken, cover and poach gently until no longer pink inside, 20 to 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Kitchen string
- Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don't use the “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 164 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 350 mg sodium; 332 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (30% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- EatingWell Serves Two