Easy Pollo Cubano
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
The fresh flavors of tarragon, cilantro and lime juice enhance poached chicken breasts in this simple preparation.
- 4 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup lime juice, divided
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- Place chicken in a shallow nonaluminum dish and add 1/4 cup lime juice. Toss lightly, cover and marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Drain and reserve the marinade.
- Combine shallots, 1 1/2 teaspoons tarragon, 1 1/2 teaspoons cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper in a small bowl. Spread 2 teaspoons of the mixture at the base of each chicken breast and roll up. Using two pieces of butcher’s string, one running horizontally and one vertically, tie each breast into a package.
- Combine water, the remaining 1/4 cup lime juice, 2 tablespoons tarragon, 2 tablespoons cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon salt, reserved marinade, sherry, crushed red pepper and bay leaves in a large high-sided skillet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, add the chicken, cover and poach gently until no longer pink inside, 20 to 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Kitchen string
- Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don't use the “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 164 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 350 mg sodium; 332 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (30% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- EatingWell Serves Two