Easy Miso-Chicken Ramen
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
Warm up a chilly evening with this healthy chicken-and-vegetable ramen noodle bowl recipe. For a little spice, top with hot sauce, such as Sriracha. Look for dried curly Chinese-style noodles near other Asian ingredients in most well-stocked supermarkets. For a substitute, try whole-wheat angel hair pasta and cook for a few minutes longer.
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons white miso (see Tip)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 cups chopped bok choy
- 4 ounces dried Chinese noodles, broken in half
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced (2 cups sliced)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add scallion whites, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add water, miso, soy sauce and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil; bring to a boil. Stir in chicken, bok choy, noodles and mushrooms. Cover and return to a boil. Uncover, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve sprinkled with the scallion greens.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: In this warming ramen-noodle bowl, miso—a fermented soybean paste—adds a deep, rich umami flavor. Look for mild-flavored white (sweet) miso, made with soy and rice, near tofu at well-stocked supermarkets. It will keep in the refrigerator for at least a year.
Per serving: 383 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 7 g fiber; 729 mg sodium; 842 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (122% daily value), Vitamin C (68% dv), Iron & Potassium (24% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2013