Easy Miso-Chicken Ramen
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
Warm up a chilly evening with this healthy chicken-and-vegetable ramen noodle bowl recipe. For a little spice, top with hot sauce, such as Sriracha. Look for dried curly Chinese-style noodles near other Asian ingredients in most well-stocked supermarkets. For a substitute, try whole-wheat angel hair pasta and cook for a few minutes longer.
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons white miso (see Tip)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 cups chopped bok choy
- 4 ounces dried Chinese noodles, broken in half
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced (2 cups sliced)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add scallion whites, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add water, miso, soy sauce and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil; bring to a boil. Stir in chicken, bok choy, noodles and mushrooms. Cover and return to a boil. Uncover, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve sprinkled with the scallion greens.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: In this warming ramen-noodle bowl, miso—a fermented soybean paste—adds a deep, rich umami flavor. Look for mild-flavored white (sweet) miso, made with soy and rice, near tofu at well-stocked supermarkets. It will keep in the refrigerator for at least a year.
Per serving: 383 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 7 g fiber; 729 mg sodium; 842 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (122% daily value), Vitamin C (68% dv), Iron & Potassium (24% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2013