Easy Miso-Chicken Ramen
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
Warm up a chilly evening with this healthy chicken-and-vegetable ramen noodle bowl recipe. For a little spice, top with hot sauce, such as Sriracha. Look for dried curly Chinese-style noodles near other Asian ingredients in most well-stocked supermarkets. For a substitute, try whole-wheat angel hair pasta and cook for a few minutes longer.
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons white miso (see Tip)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 cups chopped bok choy
- 4 ounces dried Chinese noodles, broken in half
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced (2 cups sliced)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add scallion whites, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add water, miso, soy sauce and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil; bring to a boil. Stir in chicken, bok choy, noodles and mushrooms. Cover and return to a boil. Uncover, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve sprinkled with the scallion greens.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: In this warming ramen-noodle bowl, miso—a fermented soybean paste—adds a deep, rich umami flavor. Look for mild-flavored white (sweet) miso, made with soy and rice, near tofu at well-stocked supermarkets. It will keep in the refrigerator for at least a year.
Per serving: 383 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 7 g fiber; 729 mg sodium; 842 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (122% daily value), Vitamin C (68% dv), Iron & Potassium (24% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2013