Easy Miso-Chicken Ramen
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
Warm up a chilly evening with this healthy chicken-and-vegetable ramen noodle bowl recipe. For a little spice, top with hot sauce, such as Sriracha. Look for dried curly Chinese-style noodles near other Asian ingredients in most well-stocked supermarkets. For a substitute, try whole-wheat angel hair pasta and cook for a few minutes longer.
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons white miso (see Tip)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 cups chopped bok choy
- 4 ounces dried Chinese noodles, broken in half
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced (2 cups sliced)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add scallion whites, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add water, miso, soy sauce and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil; bring to a boil. Stir in chicken, bok choy, noodles and mushrooms. Cover and return to a boil. Uncover, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve sprinkled with the scallion greens.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: In this warming ramen-noodle bowl, miso—a fermented soybean paste—adds a deep, rich umami flavor. Look for mild-flavored white (sweet) miso, made with soy and rice, near tofu at well-stocked supermarkets. It will keep in the refrigerator for at least a year.
Per serving: 383 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 7 g fiber; 729 mg sodium; 842 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (122% daily value), Vitamin C (68% dv), Iron & Potassium (24% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2013