Easy Fried Rice
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
Mixed frozen vegetables make this healthy fried rice recipe quick, easy and economical. If you don’t have leftover cooked rice on hand, be sure to thoroughly cool your rice before adding it to the wok—if it’s too warm, it creates too much steam and sticks to the wok. To quickly cool warm rice, spread out on a large baking sheet and refrigerate while you prep the rest of your ingredients, about 15 minutes.
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups mixed frozen vegetables (thawed)
- 2 cups cold cooked brown rice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large flat-bottomed carbon-steel wok or large, heavy skillet over high heat. Add eggs and cook, without stirring, until fully cooked on one side, about 30 seconds. Flip and cook until just cooked through, about 15 seconds. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to the wok along with scallions, ginger and garlic; cook, stirring, until scallions have softened, about 30 seconds. Add vegetables and cook until just tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer the contents of the wok to a large plate.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the wok; add rice and stir until hot, 1 to 2 minutes. As you stir, pull the rice from the bottom to the top so it all gets coated with oil and evenly cooked.
- Return the vegetables and eggs to the wok; add soy sauce and stir until well combined.
Per serving: 286 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 93 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 9 g protein; 6 g fiber; 404 mg sodium; 324 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (83% daily value), Magnesium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2014