Easy Fried Rice
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
Mixed frozen vegetables make this healthy fried rice recipe quick, easy and economical. If you don’t have leftover cooked rice on hand, be sure to thoroughly cool your rice before adding it to the wok—if it’s too warm, it creates too much steam and sticks to the wok. To quickly cool warm rice, spread out on a large baking sheet and refrigerate while you prep the rest of your ingredients, about 15 minutes.
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups mixed frozen vegetables (thawed)
- 2 cups cold cooked brown rice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large flat-bottomed carbon-steel wok or large, heavy skillet over high heat. Add eggs and cook, without stirring, until fully cooked on one side, about 30 seconds. Flip and cook until just cooked through, about 15 seconds. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to the wok along with scallions, ginger and garlic; cook, stirring, until scallions have softened, about 30 seconds. Add vegetables and cook until just tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer the contents of the wok to a large plate.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the wok; add rice and stir until hot, 1 to 2 minutes. As you stir, pull the rice from the bottom to the top so it all gets coated with oil and evenly cooked.
- Return the vegetables and eggs to the wok; add soy sauce and stir until well combined.
Per serving: 286 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 93 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 9 g protein; 6 g fiber; 404 mg sodium; 324 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (83% daily value), Magnesium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...
These recipes for instant appetizers use 5 ingredients or...
Many holiday celebrations include festive drinks, and we’ve...
These festive holiday appetizers are tried-and-true cocktail...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2014