Easy Fiesta Beans
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
An easy, tasty way to jazz up canned refried and pinto beans for the perfect side to accompany any Tex-Mex meal. Opt for fat-free refried beans and no-salt-added pinto beans to keep this dish as healthy as possible.
- 1 16-ounce can nonfat refried beans, preferably spicy
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added pinto beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 2/3 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 scallions, sliced
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Combine refried beans, pinto beans, salsa and 1/3 cup cheese in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the mixture is hot and the cheese is melted, 6 to 8 minutes. Spoon the bean mixture into a 2-quart baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1/3 cup cheese and scallions. Broil until the cheese is lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 169 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 7 g fiber; 519 mg sodium; 64 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2007