Easy Fiesta Beans
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
An easy, tasty way to jazz up canned refried and pinto beans for the perfect side to accompany any Tex-Mex meal. Opt for fat-free refried beans and no-salt-added pinto beans to keep this dish as healthy as possible.
- 1 16-ounce can nonfat refried beans, preferably spicy
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added pinto beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 2/3 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 scallions, sliced
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Combine refried beans, pinto beans, salsa and 1/3 cup cheese in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the mixture is hot and the cheese is melted, 6 to 8 minutes. Spoon the bean mixture into a 2-quart baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1/3 cup cheese and scallions. Broil until the cheese is lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 169 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 7 g fiber; 519 mg sodium; 64 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2007