Easy Fiesta Beans
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
An easy, tasty way to jazz up canned refried and pinto beans for the perfect side to accompany any Tex-Mex meal. Opt for fat-free refried beans and no-salt-added pinto beans to keep this dish as healthy as possible.
- 1 16-ounce can nonfat refried beans, preferably spicy
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added pinto beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 2/3 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 scallions, sliced
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Combine refried beans, pinto beans, salsa and 1/3 cup cheese in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the mixture is hot and the cheese is melted, 6 to 8 minutes. Spoon the bean mixture into a 2-quart baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1/3 cup cheese and scallions. Broil until the cheese is lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 169 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 7 g fiber; 519 mg sodium; 64 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- May/June 2007