Easy Black Beans
These easy black beans are the perfect accompaniment to any Mexican fiesta.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground ancho chile pepper, (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Add ground chile, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds more. Add beans, water and tomato paste; stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are heated through and the sauce is slightly thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat in a saucepan with 2 tablespoons water over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Ingredient Note: Ancho chile peppers, one of the most popular dried chiles used in Mexico, are dried poblano peppers. They have a mild, sweet, spicy flavor. Ground ancho chile pepper can be found in the specialty-spice section of large supermarkets, or substitute ground chili powder with a pinch of cayenne.
Per serving: 117 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 5 g fiber; 84 mg sodium; 69 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (41% daily value), Magnesium (19% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo