Duck Chiles Rellenos
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
The days of just stuffing chiles with cheese to make chiles rellenos are over. Case in point: this duck-filled chile relleno recipe with onion, garlic, tomato, green olives, almonds and raisins. If you prefer, this chile relleno recipe also works with chicken instead of duck; use 1 cup chopped cooked chicken in Step 6.
- 2 duck legs and thighs (leg quarters, about 9 ounces each)
- 4 medium poblano peppers or New Mexican green chiles (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, chopped
- 1 tablespoon raisins, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Remove skin from duck legs and thighs by sliding a paring knife under it and making little cuts in the membrane to release the skin from the meat. (Discard skin.)
- Place the duck and peppers on the grill. Grill the duck, turning occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part without touching bone registers 165°F, about 15 minutes. Grill the peppers, turning occasionally, until blistered on all sides, about 15 minutes total.
- When the duck is cool enough to handle, strip the meat off the bones and finely chop. Peel the peppers and cut them open on one side to remove the seeds; leave stems intact if possible. Set aside. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add tomato and vinegar and cook, stirring, until the tomato starts to break down, about 3 minutes. Stir in the duck, olives, almonds, raisins and salt. Remove from the heat.
- Stuff each pepper with about 1/2 cup of the filling and place on a baking sheet. Bake until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve each relleno with 1 tablespoon sour cream, garnished with cilantro leaves, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 6 (omit almonds); refrigerate peppers and filling separately for up to 1 day. To serve, stir in almonds and finish Step 7.
- Poblano peppers (sometimes called pasilla peppers) are dark green in color, about 6 inches long and can be fiery or relatively mild; there’s no way to tell until you taste them. New Mexico chiles (aka. Anaheim chiles) are 7 to 10 inches long, ripen from green to red and are mildly spicy. The two can be used interchangeably and are found at most large supermarkets.
Per serving: 201 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 4 g fiber; 400 mg sodium; 510 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (172% daily value), Vitamin A (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- Cinco de Mayo
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2013