Duck Breasts with Port & Dried Cherry Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Duck breasts are a breeze to cook and make an impression, especially when served with this beautiful mahogany-colored sauce.
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed (see Tip)
- 2 boneless duck breasts, (14 ounces total), skin and fat removed
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- Port & Dried Cherry Sauce, (recipe follows), heated
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Rub crushed peppercorns evenly over both sides of duck breasts. Season with salt. Brush oil evenly over a medium cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Heat the pan over medium-high. Add the duck and cook until browned on the bottom, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Turn duck over and transfer skillet to oven. Roast until duck reaches desired doneness: 6 minutes for medium, 10 minutes to cook through. Transfer duck to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Add any juices accumulated on the cutting board to the Port & Dried Cherry Sauce.
- Carve duck on the diagonal into thin slices. Fan on warm plates and spoon sauce over and around duck. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Crush peppercorns with the bottom of a small heavy saucepan.
Per serving: 354 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 100 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 33 g protein; 3 g fiber; 947 mg sodium; 659 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- January/February 1998
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)