Duck Breasts with Port & Dried Cherry Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Duck breasts are a breeze to cook and make an impression, especially when served with this beautiful mahogany-colored sauce.
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed (see Tip)
- 2 boneless duck breasts, (14 ounces total), skin and fat removed
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- Port & Dried Cherry Sauce, (recipe follows), heated
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Rub crushed peppercorns evenly over both sides of duck breasts. Season with salt. Brush oil evenly over a medium cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Heat the pan over medium-high. Add the duck and cook until browned on the bottom, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Turn duck over and transfer skillet to oven. Roast until duck reaches desired doneness: 6 minutes for medium, 10 minutes to cook through. Transfer duck to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Add any juices accumulated on the cutting board to the Port & Dried Cherry Sauce.
- Carve duck on the diagonal into thin slices. Fan on warm plates and spoon sauce over and around duck. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Crush peppercorns with the bottom of a small heavy saucepan.
Per serving: 354 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 100 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 33 g protein; 3 g fiber; 947 mg sodium; 659 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- January/February 1998