Duck Breasts with Port & Dried Cherry Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Duck breasts are a breeze to cook and make an impression, especially when served with this beautiful mahogany-colored sauce.
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed (see Tip)
- 2 boneless duck breasts, (14 ounces total), skin and fat removed
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- Port & Dried Cherry Sauce, (recipe follows), heated
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Rub crushed peppercorns evenly over both sides of duck breasts. Season with salt. Brush oil evenly over a medium cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Heat the pan over medium-high. Add the duck and cook until browned on the bottom, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Turn duck over and transfer skillet to oven. Roast until duck reaches desired doneness: 6 minutes for medium, 10 minutes to cook through. Transfer duck to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Add any juices accumulated on the cutting board to the Port & Dried Cherry Sauce.
- Carve duck on the diagonal into thin slices. Fan on warm plates and spoon sauce over and around duck. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Crush peppercorns with the bottom of a small heavy saucepan.
Per serving: 354 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 100 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 33 g protein; 3 g fiber; 947 mg sodium; 659 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- January/February 1998