Crispy Baked Drumsticks with Honey-Mustard Sauce for Two
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
These baked chicken drumsticks are all about the contrast of crispy crunch on the outside and succulent, juicy chicken on the inside. Serve with sweet potato fries and spinach salad.
- 1/3 cup fine dry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 4 chicken drumsticks (about 1 pound total), skin removed, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt, preferably Greek-style
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a wire rack with cooking spray and set it on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Mix breadcrumbs, paprika, onion powder and salt in a shallow dish. Drizzle with oil and mash with a fork until the oil is thoroughly incorporated. Lightly beat egg with a fork in another shallow dish. Dip the drumsticks into the egg, then press into the breading mixture until evenly coated on both sides. (Discard any remaining mixture and/or egg.) Place the chicken on the prepared rack.
- Bake the chicken until golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a drumstick without touching bone registers 165°F, 25 to 30 minutes.
- To prepare sauce: Combine yogurt, mustard, honey and pepper in a small bowl. Serve the sauce with the drumsticks.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the sauce (Step 4) for up to 3 days.
- Note: To make your own breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until very fine. Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 250°F until dry, about 10 to 15 minutes. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs.
Per serving: 299 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 131 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 2 g fiber; 510 mg sodium; 345 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (20% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2011