Crispy Baked Drumsticks with Honey-Mustard Sauce for Two
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
These baked chicken drumsticks are all about the contrast of crispy crunch on the outside and succulent, juicy chicken on the inside. Serve with sweet potato fries and spinach salad.
- 1/3 cup fine dry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 4 chicken drumsticks (about 1 pound total), skin removed, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt, preferably Greek-style
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a wire rack with cooking spray and set it on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Mix breadcrumbs, paprika, onion powder and salt in a shallow dish. Drizzle with oil and mash with a fork until the oil is thoroughly incorporated. Lightly beat egg with a fork in another shallow dish. Dip the drumsticks into the egg, then press into the breading mixture until evenly coated on both sides. (Discard any remaining mixture and/or egg.) Place the chicken on the prepared rack.
- Bake the chicken until golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a drumstick without touching bone registers 165°F, 25 to 30 minutes.
- To prepare sauce: Combine yogurt, mustard, honey and pepper in a small bowl. Serve the sauce with the drumsticks.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the sauce (Step 4) for up to 3 days.
- Note: To make your own breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until very fine. Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 250°F until dry, about 10 to 15 minutes. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs.
Per serving: 299 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 131 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 2 g fiber; 510 mg sodium; 345 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (20% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 2011