Crispy Baked Drumsticks with Honey-Mustard Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
These baked chicken drumsticks are crispy-crunchy outside and succulent and juicy inside. Serve with sweet potato fries and spinach salad.
- 2/3 cup fine dry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 8 chicken drumsticks (about 2 pounds total), skin removed, trimmed
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt, preferably Greek-style
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a wire rack with cooking spray and set it on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Mix breadcrumbs, paprika, onion powder and salt in a shallow dish. Drizzle with oil and mash with a fork until the oil is thoroughly incorporated. Lightly beat egg with a fork in another shallow dish. Dip the drumsticks into the egg, then press into the breading mixture until evenly coated on both sides. (Discard any remaining mixture and/or egg.) Place the chicken on the prepared rack.
- Bake the chicken until golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a drumstick without touching bone registers 165°F, 25 to 30 minutes.
- To prepare sauce: Combine yogurt, mustard, honey and pepper in a small bowl. Serve the sauce with the drumsticks.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the sauce (Step 4) for up to 3 days.
- Note: To make your own breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until very fine. Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 250°F until dry, about 10 to 15 minutes. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs.
Per serving: 299 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 131 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 2 g fiber; 510 mg sodium; 345 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (20% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 2011