Dried Pear & Cranberry Chutney
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
No holiday dinner would be complete without a relish or chutney, and this one made with dried pears and cranberries is especially nice. This one is particularly quick because the dried fruits readily absorb the sweet, sour and spicy chutney seasonings.
- 6 ounces dried pears, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
- 2 strips orange zest
- 1/4 cup water
- Combine pears, cranberries, vinegar, sugar, ginger, garlic, crushed red pepper, peppercorns, orange zest and water in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring. Cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is tender, about 10 minutes.
- If the chutney has not thickened sufficiently, simmer it, uncovered, for a minute or two longer. Let cool, then discard the orange zest.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Per tablespoon: 32 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 49 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- November/December 1994