Dried Pear & Cranberry Chutney
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
No holiday dinner would be complete without a relish or chutney, and this one made with dried pears and cranberries is especially nice. This one is particularly quick because the dried fruits readily absorb the sweet, sour and spicy chutney seasonings.
- 6 ounces dried pears, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
- 2 strips orange zest
- 1/4 cup water
- Combine pears, cranberries, vinegar, sugar, ginger, garlic, crushed red pepper, peppercorns, orange zest and water in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring. Cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is tender, about 10 minutes.
- If the chutney has not thickened sufficiently, simmer it, uncovered, for a minute or two longer. Let cool, then discard the orange zest.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Per tablespoon: 32 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 49 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 1994