Dried Pear & Cranberry Chutney
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
No holiday dinner would be complete without a relish or chutney, and this one made with dried pears and cranberries is especially nice. This one is particularly quick because the dried fruits readily absorb the sweet, sour and spicy chutney seasonings.
- 6 ounces dried pears, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
- 2 strips orange zest
- 1/4 cup water
- Combine pears, cranberries, vinegar, sugar, ginger, garlic, crushed red pepper, peppercorns, orange zest and water in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring. Cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is tender, about 10 minutes.
- If the chutney has not thickened sufficiently, simmer it, uncovered, for a minute or two longer. Let cool, then discard the orange zest.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Per tablespoon: 32 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 49 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 1994