Dried Fruit Compote with Green Tea & Lemon
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
When the selection of fruit in the winter is lacking, poaching shelf-stable dried fruit in lemon-infused green tea creates a luscious fruit compote. Serve topped with low-fat plain yogurt and chopped pistachios for breakfast or dessert.
- 3 green tea bags
- 3 1/4 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 cups mixed dried fruit, such as apples, apricots, pears, figs and/or raisins
- Steep tea bags in boiling water for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove tea bags. Stir sugar and lemon zest into the tea. Cut any large pieces of fruit into halves or quarters. Place the fruit and tea in a 4-quart or larger slow cooker. Cover and cook until the fruit is plump and tender and the liquid is syrupy, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours on high or 3 1/2 to 4 hours on low. Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- For easy cleanup, try a slow-cooker liner. These heat-resistant, disposable liners fit neatly inside the insert and help prevent food from sticking to the bottom and sides of your slow cooker.
Per serving: 146 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 4 g fiber; 10 mg sodium; 462 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2008