Dried Fruit Compote
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
This quick and easy fruit compote is handy to have on hand for days when you're struggling to get all your servings of fruit.
- 4 cups white grape juice, or apple juice
- 2 teaspoons aniseed, or 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Fresh zest of 1 lemon, cut into julienne
- 1 12-ounce package mixed dried fruit, such as apricots, apples, pears, peaches and prunes
- Combine grape (or apple) juice, aniseed (or cinnamon stick), honey and lemon zest in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat. Add fruit and simmer, uncovered, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer fruit to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Increase heat to medium and simmer poaching liquid until reduced to 1 cup, 10 to 15 minutes. Pour over the reserved fruit. Refrigerate, covered, until cold, several hours or overnight.
Per serving: 246 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 95 mg sodium; 290 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (425% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 fruit
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1998