Dried Fruit Compote
From EatingWell: December 2006
This hearty dessert is the perfect sweet ending to a Hanukkah meal. Try serving it with plain yogurt, sweetened sour cream or ricotta cheese.
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces dried apricots, (3/4 cup)
- 4 ounces pitted prunes, (3/4 cup)
- 4 ounces dried pear halves, cut in half (3/4 cup)
- Stir water, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves. Add apricots, prunes and pears and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer slowly for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue simmering slowly until thickened, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely before serving. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store, covered, in a plastic or glass container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Per serving: 214 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 4 g fiber; 102 mg sodium; 486 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (20% daily value), Fiber (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2006