Dried Fruit Compote
From EatingWell: December 2006
This hearty dessert is the perfect sweet ending to a Hanukkah meal. Try serving it with plain yogurt, sweetened sour cream or ricotta cheese.
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces dried apricots, (3/4 cup)
- 4 ounces pitted prunes, (3/4 cup)
- 4 ounces dried pear halves, cut in half (3/4 cup)
- Stir water, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves. Add apricots, prunes and pears and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer slowly for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue simmering slowly until thickened, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely before serving. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store, covered, in a plastic or glass container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Per serving: 214 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 4 g fiber; 102 mg sodium; 486 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (20% daily value), Fiber (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2006