Dried Fruit Compote
From EatingWell: December 2006
This hearty dessert is the perfect sweet ending to a Hanukkah meal. Try serving it with plain yogurt, sweetened sour cream or ricotta cheese.
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces dried apricots, (3/4 cup)
- 4 ounces pitted prunes, (3/4 cup)
- 4 ounces dried pear halves, cut in half (3/4 cup)
- Stir water, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves. Add apricots, prunes and pears and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer slowly for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue simmering slowly until thickened, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely before serving. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store, covered, in a plastic or glass container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Per serving: 214 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 4 g fiber; 102 mg sodium; 486 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (20% daily value), Fiber (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Grapefruit can add a healthy and refreshing flavor to entrees...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- December 2006